The Huffington Post recently shared nine practical tips for divorcing women to get their finances in order in the wake of a divorce. Plenty of issues come into play as spouses separate, but often the management of finances is one of the more stressful pieces of putting back together the puzzle. Here are nine practical housekeeping tips to make sure you’re prepared to face your finances in the best way possible post-divorce.
- Obtain a copy of your divorce decree.
- Close joint credit accounts.
- Remove your husband’s name and change your name on all major accounts including:
- Credit cards
- Bank and investment accounts
- Property titles
- Post Office, etc.
- Research options for health insurance
- Open a new bank account
- Open a new credit card
- Disinherit your ex-husband
- Establish a system to keep track of child support, alimony, medical expenses, etc.
This is only a scant beginning of this fantastic list of financial tips. We recommend divorcing women check out the full post for a great checklist of what to keep in mind as the divorce is finalized. It’s difficult to boil everything down that needs to be done as you face a divorce, but this list is a great start.
If you’d like to discuss your options regarding a potential divorce, please contact the Pellerin Law Firm for a complimentary consultation. We can offer advice regarding your assets and financial future, and we’re happy to help in all ways that we can.
Source: Huffintgonpost.com, “Divorce Finance: How to Get Your Finances in Order Post-Split,” Jeff Landers, May 18, 2013